Legs Lagging Aerobic Fitness

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    JamesChamonix
    Participant

I often find that my limiting factor for running very long distances is not my aerobic fitness but my muscular endurance. I can run infinitely on flat surfaces, but as soon as I introduce hills, my legs lose strength quickly.

Is this where some muscular endurance sessions such as a weighted carry are of benefit? My AeT and AnT are within 10%.

For someone currently running ~55 miles/week, 15.5 weeks out from a 100k, how many of these sessions should I be shooting for a week? Lastly, if I have volume training on the same day, would ME be best to do in the morning or evening?

Thanks for the input!

Scott Johnston
    Keymaster

James:

Adding ME training to your program will help your uphills and downhills.  I’d start with our GYM ME progression (see the ME article). Do this 1x/week along with hill sprints 1x/week for at least 8 weeks.  After 4 weeks progress to doing the hill sprints with 10% of BW added.  Keep them in the plan till 2 weeks before the race.

After the 8 weeks shift the ME to long weighted uphills. Use at 10- 15% grade and use 10% BW and run as much as possible.  Workouts will start 2×10 then 3X10, then 3×15. Donde 1x/week.  Stop all this ME stuff 12 days before your race.

The next training cycle you should start this early and you will get more benefits.

Scott

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.