How define Zone 1 HR/Pace for Running

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Hello, I recently did a heart rate drift test and came up with an aerobic threshold of 162. I also recently established a new lactate threshold of 172. Something I’ve been struggling with for the past few months is how to define my target heart rate for zone one. I’ve been using around 145 to 150 lately but that’s really just a guess. Does that make sense considering my other threshold values right now? Too low? Too high? Is zone one target heart rate defined somewhat arbitrarily? One thought I had about it is maybe that it’s the pace that I can use to achieve my target aerobic base training volume with minimal risk of injuries… does that make sense? Thanks so much for any insights you can share on this! 🙏

Scott Johnston
    Keymaster

There is an in-depth discussion of the Zone system on our Yout Tube channel here

There is also a similar discussion in both our books.  In TftUA you will find it on pages 83-96.

You will find all your answers and much more in both those places.

In short:  Top of Z1 is 10% below Top of Z2.

Scott

Well shoot. First the embarrassing typo in the title title and then learning I’ve been missing the answer right in front of my nose all this time! Ah well, that’s life! Thanks so much for the answer, Scott. I’ll come up with a better question next time! 😅

Also wanted to let you know that TftUA has been a life-changing book for me! I wish I had this info 30 years ago! But at least I have it now. Also I’m a big fan of the Evoke-cast—especially the solo episodes and the QA episodes. Thanks for being so generous with your knowledge. 🙏

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.