Selection Preparation v SOF Selection

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ADB
    Participant

Evoke,

Short preface before the plan comparison. Im preparing for two races scheduled for the end of the year. The first event is in November and will be a biathlon of sorts involving rucking(45# dry), running, and shooting. The exact race distance is roughly 20-30 miles over two days with various segments being rucked, others run, some physical tasks(monkey bars, ladders, etc), and multiple shooting stations interspersed throughout the course. While the exact details of the race are kept secret until the morning of the race, the closest description may be an abbreviated Best Ranger for civilians.

The second race is a 50K in December in the hills of Virginia. This will be the longest race Ive ever participated in.

I am not active military and have no established history with rucking. Ive read TFUA, listened to many of the podcast episodes, filtered through most of the forum postings, and feel I have a big picture understanding of Evoke’s training principles. Currently, Im logging around 5hrs/wk of Aerobic Base training with weight room numbers consistent with Maury Birdwell’s recommendations in the latest tactical roundtable.

1. I’m sold on Evoke’s training principles but at a loss for which approach to adopt(Selection Preparation vs SOF Training). I realize the plans are general and individual fitness levels are an important piece of context in determining training options. That said which of the two are best suited given the timeline and event factors?

2. The Selection Prep plan mileage on TrainingPeaks seems low per the suggested principles from TFUA while the SOF Training Pipeline indicates much higher training hours and mileage per week. Why the disparity?

3. Would another plan not yet released be a better fit?

4. Id be happy to provide an athletic background or other relevant context to better answer the question if needed.

Scott Johnston
    Keymaster

The Selection Prep plan running is measured in hours and the SOF plan is measured in miles so they are not really comparable.  I would recommend the SOF plan for the goals you have in mind.

Scott

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.